According to the Irish Times, the signing took place at 11:35 AM on December 21, 1948 in Dublin.  The assistance of Irish astrologer Bill Sheeran in identifying the time of signing is gratefully acknowledged. This time gives 5° 48’ Aquarius (sidereal) rising in the national horoscope. In this article, this promising but tentative horoscope for Ireland is examined closely in terms of its natal endowments and the astrological dynamics of key historical events in terms of the Systems' Approach. A prediction of the likely future trends is then presented.
The first settlements in Ireland date from around 8000 BC. By 200 BC Celtic migration and influence had come to dominate Ireland. In the 9th and 10th centuries the Norse Vikings arrived to loot the country. Over time, they settled and built castles which are considered the foundations of major cities of Ireland, like Dublin. Over time, the invaders were gradually absorbed into the society and culture of the Irish people. In the 12th century, the Normans arrived. While their settlement was initially of a relatively small scale, it gave way to complete English domination in the 17th century.
Protestant English rule resulted in the marginalization of the Catholic majority, although in the north-east, Protestants were in the majority due to the Plantation of Ulster. Ireland became part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801. A famine in the mid-1800s caused large-scale death and emigration. The Irish War of Independence ended in 1921 with the British Government proposing a truce and during which the Anglo-Irish Treaty was signed, creating the Irish Free State. This was a Dominion within the British Empire, with effective internal independence but still constitutionally linked with the British Crown. Northern Ireland, consisting of six of the 32 Irish counties which had been established as a devolved region under the 1920 Government of Ireland Act, immediately exercised its option under the treaty to retain its existing status within the United Kingdom. The Free State left the Commonwealth to become a republic in 1949. In 1973 both parts of Ireland joined the European Community. Conflict in Northern Ireland led to much unrest from the late 1960s until the 1990s, which subsided following a peace deal in 1998. 
The population of Ireland is almost six million, with over 4 million residing in the Republic of Ireland and less than 2 million in Northern Ireland. The land area is almost 70,000 km² making Ireland the third-largest island in Europe. It lies to the north-west of continental Europe and west of Great Britain. The sovereign state of Ireland (official name Ireland, description "Republic of Ireland") covers five-sixths of the island, with Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom) covering the remaining one-sixth of the island, located in the northeast. There are two official languages in the Republic, namely Irish (Gaeilige) and English. English is the mother tongue for the vast majority. 
In addition to being a part of the European Union, Ireland has strong ties with USA and Australia. One of the main cultural characteristics of the Irish population is a preoccupation with cultural identity and national character at the intellectual and artistic level.  This has its roots in a turbulent past. The art and politics have united in association of the language with a sense of a national identity. Ireland has made a considerable contribution to the world of art. Ireland has produced four winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature; George Bernard Shaw, William Butler Yeats, Samuel Beckett and Seamus Heaney. The most famous recent Irish painters are John Butler Yeats, William Orpen, Jack Yeats and Louis le Brocquy. Irish folk music and dance are well known. In the Republic era, famous Irish musicians include The Dubliners, Van Morrison, U2, Sinead O’Connor, The Cranberries and The Corrs.
Formerly one of the poorest countries in Europe, Ireland experienced an economic boom in recent decades, with high economic growth rates while inflation has been kept in check. An enticing package of tax incentives has helped the country attract investment from abroad. The country also benefited from European Structural Funds for regional development, which has had an impact on its arts and culture. Nevertheless, unemployment has remained stubbornly high, over 10 per cent of the labour force. Since 2008, the 'Celtic Tiger', as Ireland has been called, has faced hard economic times. A serious economic recession is now underway, with high unemployment. The Government has had to borrow huge sums to bail out banks, which became loaded with debt during the Irish property bubble.
What to look for in the chart
In the Ireland Republic chart of 1948 we would look to see the result of this history and how it has moulded the collective identity. On the one hand we know Ireland has a culture steeped in an artistic and intellectual expression. Centuries of suppression and struggle have also bred a humble and open society, known for its easy charm around the world. The history has also generated a quiet determination and sense that the ends justify the means, as was evinced during the long struggle for independence. The sectarian nature of the conflict is also important. The split of the country in two political blocks is likely a sore spot for the mostly Catholic Irish identity, given the traumatic history with the British.
Bill Sheeran provided me with a nice overview of times and events that mundane astrologers in Ireland have considered in terms of a mundane chart. He has offered his own analysis of the charts, with the notion of a 'structural coupling' between the charts.  I reproduce the events mentioned by him for completeness, while adding the event proposed here, but do not offer a special evaluation of their individual merit, except to say that I have chosen a time for the creation of the most recent Irish state. It could also be added that experience shows that there is some mystery involved in events that give birth to a collective entity, such as in a signing ceremony or the formal entry into force of an act. An astrological examination of the horosocopes in question is then necessary to settle the matter.
- Irish Republican Movement initiated (4pm-8pm, October 14, 1781). “Society of United Irishmen agrees in a vote to pursue the goal of a united Irish Republic and remove all influence of the British Crown from involvement in the affairs of the Irish people. The person who drew up the articles which were agreed upon was Theobald Wolfe Tone, who is within Ireland universally seen as the father of Irish republicanism.” “The broader context at the time was the impact of the French and American revolutions on progressive thinkers around the period when the concept of the independent nation state was emerging as an alternative to being subsumed within an empire.” 
- Insurrection of United Irishmen (May 23, 1798). This was the first major military campaign.
- Act of Union of Great Britain and Ireland (January 1, 1801). This act integrated Ireland within the UK and still serves as the basis of the authentic mundane chart for Great Britain.
- First uprising of Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB) (March 5, 1867). The Irish Republican Brotherhood was a forerunner of the Irish Revolutionary Army.
- IRB adopts first known Constitution of the Irish Republic (August 18, 1869).
- Irish Republican Brotherhood Supreme Council proclaims itself provisional government of the Irish Republic (March 17, 1873). An extreme act of revolutionary will by a secret militant organisation.
- Easter Rising; Independence proclaimed (12:25 GMT, April 24, 1916). This proclamation initiated the Easter Rising of 1916 which failed, resulting in the British military executing all the signers of the proclamation. Nevertheless, this was a turning point in the struggle by sowing the seeds for the War of Independence 1919-1923.
- Irish Republic (21 January 1919). The Irish Republic (Irish: Poblacht na hÉireann or Saorstát Éireann) was a unilaterally declared independent state of Ireland proclaimed in the Easter Rising of 1916 and formally established on 21 January 1919 by Dáil Éireann. Its existence coincided with the Irish War of Independence of 1919 – 1922 between the Irish Republican Army and the forces of the United Kingdom. It virtually ceased to exist after 7 January 1922, when Dáil Éireann narrowly approved the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This treaty officially ended the War of Independence and set up a Provisional Government which, on 6 December 1922, became a self-governing British dominion called the Irish Free State. However, Northern Ireland exercised its right under the Treaty to opt out of the new dominion and rejoin the United Kingdom on 8 December 1922. Thereafter, the Irish Free State consisted of only 26 of the island's 32 counties while Northern Ireland with its 6 counties rejoined the United Kingdom. This was known as the Partition of Ireland. 
- Anglo - Irish Treaty signed (December 6, 1921). The Anglo-Irish Treaty (Irish: An Conradh Angla-Éireannach), officially called the Articles of Agreement for a Treaty Between Great Britain and Ireland, was a treaty between the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and representatives of the de facto Irish Republic that concluded the Irish War of Independence. It established an autonomous dominion, known as the Irish Free State, within the British Empire and provided Northern Ireland, which had been created by the 1920 Government of Ireland Act, an option to opt out of the Irish Free State, which it exercised. The treaty was signed at 2:20 am on 6 December 1921 in London by representatives of the British government, (which included David Lloyd George who was head of the British delegates) and envoys of the Irish Republic who claimed plenipotentiary status (i.e., negotiators empowered to sign a treaty without reference back to their superiors, including Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith). In accordance with its terms the Treaty needed to be and was ratified by the members elected to sit in the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and the British Parliament. Dáil Éireann for the de facto Irish Republic also ratified the Treaty (narrowly). Though the treaty was duly ratified, the split led to the Irish Civil War, which was ultimately won by the pro-treaty side.
- Irish Free State established (December 6, 1922). The Irish Free State (Irish: Saorstát Éireann) (1922 – 1937) was the state established as a Dominion on 6 December 1922 under the Anglo-Irish Treaty, signed by the British government and Irish representatives exactly twelve months beforehand. The Irish Free State began during the confusion of a civil war. Contains 26 of the 32 counties in Ireland. 
- Irish Constitution comes into effect (December 29, 1937). This was done without fulfilling lingering obligations to the British Government.
- Republic of Ireland Act signed (11:35am, December 21, 1948, Dublin ) The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 is an Act of the Oireachtas which declared that the state, Ireland, is a republic and that the President of Ireland has executive authority of any executive function of the state or in the external relations of the state. It repealed the External Relations Act of 1936, which had declared that Edward VIII of the United Kingdom and his successors should exercise that authority. As a consequence, the State ceased to be a Dominion of the Crown. It declares that the description of the state is the Republic of Ireland (or Poblacht na hÉireann in Irish) and that the president, with support of the government, will have absolute executive power in the state. It was signed by the President of Ireland on 21 December 1948.
- Republic of Ireland enters into force (00:00 BST, April 18, 1949, Dublin). The act entered into force on a prescribed date.
Aquarius is rising in the chart. Aquarius is a positive, human and airy sign, and signifies characteristics like honesty, ideals and sensitiveness, etc. depending upon the strength of Saturn in the nativity. Aquarians are active, industrious, deliberative, leaders of non-affluent sections of the society, and courteous. They are comparatively more concerned about the ends in comparison to means. They are invariably not content with their possessions. 
For those with Aquarius rising, Moon and Mercury become malefic planets due to their lordship of the 6th and 8th houses, respectively. As these are the fastest moving bodies, this means that there are recurrent short-lived disturbances in the life of Aquarius born. With the sign Aries placed in the 3rd house, the planet Mars becomes the lord of initiative and effort, making Aquarians concerned with communications. Close conjunction or aspect of the Moon as 6th lord with a functional benefic planet is associated with disputes and diseases. A strong Sun, as 7th lord, blesses them with relations with well-connected countries. A strong Mercury, as lord of the 8th house, blesses with good inheritance but at the same time its close connection with any other planet or mid-point of a house is highly undesirable due to Mercury's functional nature being malefic. A combust Mercury endangers the smooth continuance of relations. The affliction to Mercury can give problems in life span of entity, accidents, problems for health in the country and major problems. A strong Venus, a 9th lord, in its periods, promises good fortune and noble connections. Weakness to Venus gives trouble to relations and loss of comforts. A strong Jupiter, as 11th lord, when linked to 11th house of finances indicates progressive future during the periods of Jupiter. Aquarians are writers, thinkers, servants, leaders of non-affluent sections of society and industrialists. They are traditional in their approach, but can resort to even undesirable means to achieve their ends. Affliction to Saturn gives problems for functioning, accidents and loss of status. 
Astrology of the chart
The 1st lord SATURN at 13° 02' Leo is well placed in the 7th house of foreign matters, relations with others and tourism. It means the self of the Irish people would be linked to involvement with others. Importantly, the MOON as 6th lord is at 13° 35' Leo and 7th house is closely conjunct the 1st lord. This suggests the Irish are prone to enter into conflicts over foreign policy matters, or the political opposition is vocal concerning the involvement of Ireland in foreign policy matters or Ireland has foreign debt problems. The divine planet JUPITER, as 11th lord of friends and income, aspects the Moon and Saturn, suggesting some divine protection, help of friends or income help in resolving the disputes or debts. The division of Ireland along sectarian lines has been a constant feature of life in the Republics history. While peace has now been established, the conflict has marked the Irish identity, with a strong foreign policy angle, given the involvement of Great Britain, as well as the USA, to try to resolve the matter. It is also of interest in this regard that Ireland at first rejected and then ratified the EU's Lisbon Treaty - after the EU slightly modified it. Ireland has also racked up a lot of foreign debt in recent years.
The 11th house karma in this chart is quite strong with four planets located there. Friendships, ideals, hopes, plans and income are therefore potent areas of life in Ireland. Importantly, the 7th lord SUN, which rules over foreign matters, is strong at 6° 23' Sagittarius, where it is closely conjunct the most effective point (MEP) of the 11th house, thus aspecting also the 5th house. This gives a number of advantages. The strength of the leader of Ireland comes from a good economy, dealing with young people, and strong friendships abroad. The placement suggests foreign friendships are important for the income and that the income so obtained also benefits young people, universities, management and speculative nature of the people, all ruled by the 5th house. Indeed, it is a known fact that the infusion of structural funds from Ireland’s friends in the EU has strengthened the creative arts, a domain of the young. With 11th lord JUPITER at 14° 47' Sagittarius, the house is strengthened, by its lord being in its own sign and well placed by house, in its own 11th house. Jupiter is, however, weakened by its moderate combustion with the SUN, which tends to zap the energy of a planet so affected, The indications of Jupiter thus become more vulnerable to afflictions, whether natal or in transit. In this regard, we should note that JUPITER is also conjunct (although not exactly) MERCURY as 8th lord of obstacles and endings, but also easy gains. This means there can be obstacles which affect income streams, friendships or the plans of the Irish. At the same time, there can also be easy gains of income, as history also shows. The conjunction of MERCURY as 8th lord of the beliefs of the people with JUPITER as general indicator of religion highlights the strong feelings with regard to the issue of religion and the obstacles and harm it has caused in the national life. JUPITER is also an indicator of financial institutions, along with the SUN. These influences suggest there can be problems with overexpansion or excesses in lending, more so as JUPITER is also aspected (although not exactly) by RAHU in the 3rd house, which can give material progress through own efforts but also a tendency for manipulation and deceit. It is more problematic that MERCURY as 8th lord at 11° 17' in Sagittarius, while outside the MEP of the 11th house, is closely afflicted by RAHU. This aspect can bring harmful events involving obstacles and endings when RAHU and/or MERCURY are transit afflicted by the stationary (true) nodes. In short, the Irish financial system was on the praecipe last year but was saved by Ireland having earlier adopted the euro currency and being a member of the European Union (a league of friends).
The Moon's nodes, RAHU and KETU, are at 10° 03' in Aries and Libra, respectively. These are the 3rd and 9th houses in the chart. As they are within 5° orb of the house MEP, their influence is felt with respect to the houses of their placement and houses aspects (by trine and opposition). Fortunately, as the orb is beyond 4° this is not a serious affliction. Strain or stressful events would therefore be more likely than outright setbacks to the affected indications, even if the latter can not be ruled out, especially if the lord of the affected house is weak natally and/or in transit. In addition to the 3rd house of communication and transportation, RAHU afflicts the 7th house of foreign matters owned by a strong SUN, 9th house of the church or judiciary owned by a moderately strong VENUS, 11th house of income and friends (whose lord, JUPITER, is moderately strong). RAHU’S influence is one of excessive materiality and manipulation. The recent report of a priest having molested 100 boys over several years is in line with this placement. In addition to the 9th house, KETU afflicts the 1st house ruled by an afflicted Saturn, 3rd house ruled by a strong Mars and 5th house which does not contain a moolatrikona sign and is thus less affected. KETU brings an energy of separation, including sudden events to the houses it touches.
Importantly, VENUS as 9th lord is well placed at 8° Scorpio and 10th house, where it is in the MEP of the house. This brings luck to government and foreign trade. Venus is also the general indicator of the arts. When strong it gives knowledge of the healing arts. Its influence on the 10th house gives luck and fame with regard to the arts. Moreover, VENUS as 9th lord aspects the 4th house, which gives fortune when it comes to communal harmony and real estate. It also suggests the executive branch of government is knowledgeable and that export of pharmaceutical drugs and the arts could be lucrative for Ireland. However as VENUS is debilitated in Virgo in the 9th divisional chart (the Navamsa), its own indications are vulnerable to transit setbacks.
In short, the chart shows a collective entity that is outwardly oriented. The intellectual and artistic orientation is consistent with this rising sign. The artistic achievements are easy to see in the chart. The economic gains and problems come through in this chart. Material benefits and luck come from dealing with other countries but also challenges. The rising sign also shows an interest in the welfare of working people as well as a tendency to consider the means justifying the ends, which could make a conflict more onerous. The chart reflects very well the nature of the conflict that has bedeviled Ireland and its influence on the Irish people. In my view, the chart shows good potential for being the authentic horoscope for Ireland.
Ongoing rectification work
The rectification of this chart needs to be supported by a study major events in the history of the Irish Republic. The aim there is to see if the transit and period influences are seen to operate in a manner that is consistent with the chart.
A major event is the Treaty of Lisbon, which was at first rejected and then approved in separate national referendums. The rejection came in the dual malefic Rahu-Moon period. At the time of the first vote, Rahu was in the 12th house of losses in aspect to the Moon in the 8th house of obstacles. The treaty was approved in the dual benefic Jupiter-Jupiter period.
Below is a list of significant events in the history of Northern Ireland during the era of the Republic of Ireland. These events would by and large have been upsetting to the Irish people. In fact, the conjunction of Moon and Saturn is seen to be associated with this situation. The lord of conflict impinges on the lord of the identity of the Irish people. That said, the direct impact on the Republic of Ireland was less than what was experienced in Northern Ireland or by Great Britain which was visited by several terrorist attacks.
- Start of the 'Troubles' in Northern Ireland 1968-69, with the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland giving his ' Ulster at the crossroads' speech on December 9, 1968. Sun-Moon period. Rahu in 2nd house aspects Moon in 6th house.
- 'Bloody Sunday' (January 30, 1972). Sun-Saturn period. Transit Rahu and transit 8th lord Mercury in 12th house while transit Ketu and transit 6th lord Moon are in 6th house. Thirteen unarmed civil rights protestors were shot dead by British paratroopers, causing a huge inflow of new members into the IRA.
- Years prior to end of IRA military campaign 1992-3 were a very difficult time when escalating atrocities coincided with secret peace talks.
- IRA cease-fire announced (11:05am, August 31, 1994, Dublin ). Rahu-Jupiter period, with transit 7th lord Sun conjunct natal Saturn and Moon in 7th house aspecting transit 1st lord Saturn in 1st house. Transit 11th lord Jupiter in 9th house also aspects transit Saturn.
- Canary Wharf bombing (7:01pm, February 9, 1996, London ), the end of first IRA cease-fire. Rahu-Jupiter period. Transit Rahu conjunct transit 6th lord Moon in 8th house. Transit 8th lord Mercury in 12th house with transit 7th lord Sun, under aspect from transit Rahu.
- Cease-fire was reinstated on July 20th 1997, when Rahu-Saturn period was operating. Transit Saturn well placed in the 2nd house from where it aspects natal 3rd lord Mars in 11th house.
- Good Friday Agreement (17:36, April 10, 1998, Belfast ), the key event of the post IRA cease-fire peace process. Rahu-Saturn period operating with transit Saturn still well placed in the 2nd house conjunct 7th lord Sun and in aspect to natal 3rd lord Mars in 11th house. Transit Mars on MEP of 3rd house, aspecting also the 6th house, 9th house and 10th house.
- Sinn Fein issue 'war is at an end' statement' (16:30, September 1, 1998, Belfast ). Sinn Fein are the political wing of the IRA. Rahu-Saturn period. Saturn in MEP of 3rd house conjunct natal Rahu. Transit 7th lord Sun conjunct natal Saturn and Moon.
- IRA state intention to put arms beyond use (May 6, 2000). The arms decommissioning issue reappeared at the beginning of 2001 as part of the final hurdle in consolidating peace. Rahu-Mercury period with 8th lord Mercury in 3rd house. Transit nodal axis is in a sperating conjunction with MEP of 12th and 6th houses. Transit Sun, Jupiter and Saturn conjunct in 3rd house.
As for developments in the Republic of Ireland, it is interesting to note that the rise and fall of the Irish housing market and the associated banking boom occurred within the Rahu major period. A Jupiter major period has now begun, suggesting that Ireland will gradually work its way out of the problems in coming years and reap more durable benefits than what it has experienced so far. Its involvement with the EU is likely to increase and the foundation of the financial system will likely be strengthened. The chart suggests Jupiterian issues will become more important in the national life the next sixteen years, or until August 2025. The general indications of Jupiter include the church, financial institutions, the judiciary and important personages in the national life, while the more important functional indications of the 11th house include hopes, plans, goals, friends and income. While there may be problems to these in coming years, due to the moderately weakened Jupiter, which is aspected by two functional malefic planets, its good placement in its own sign, with the SUN also strongly aspecting the house, suggest that strong leadership and friends will play an important role in the recovery ahead.
 Irish times digital archive online
 Ireland, Wikipedia article
 Culture of Ireland
 Bill Sheeran, 2001, “The Observer Observed”, AstroTalk Online magazine.
 Irish Republic of 1919
 Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921
 Irish Free State
 Republic of Ireland Act
 Systems’ Approach (SA) to Vedic Astrology