In the SAMVA USA chart the placement of the Sun reveals many interesting things about the USA and its destiny. as it is placed in the 7th house of foreign affairs we find the reason why US leadership in the world comes so naturally. Mercury, as 3rd lord of commerce and initiative, is also placed in the 7th house, adding to desire for global leadership. As the Sun aspects the 1st house of self, the USA has a more powerful identity than most countries.
But there is a dark side to this placement. The Sun receives the aspect of Saturn which is the 8th lord of obstacles and endings in the chart. The 8th lord brings with it the karmic destiny of separation, creating pain in our lives. Through this placement we can see the numerous assassination attempts on the lives of US presidents, with four having succeeded to date. At the same time, as the 8th lord rules inheritance and easy gains, explaining the tremendous wealth accruing to the country, including its “inheritance” of vast lands in the north American continent.
Embedded in the tragedy is also the seed of hope. It is true, the chief purpose of the 8th lord is to end things. Certainly, all things must and will pass. Endings in life also cause us pain, the pain of separation. The great masters knew that death is the most potent motivator for spiritual growth in life - it shatters the bond of attachment!
On the other hand, it is greatness that arouses our admiration. It is human to desire to unite with that which we perceive as great - to form a bond of attachment. Greatness is thus the true basis of love. The yogis have also long understood that this play of love and bereavement ultimately leads us to an understanding of God. Such a dynamic is amply seen in the SAMVA USA chart. The tragedy seen in the natal affliction of 8th lord Saturn to 2nd lord Sun involves the ending of something that is greatly admired.
Due to this natal affliction, during the Saturn major period and Sun sub-period from April 1, 1963 to March 13, 1964, the main result was that President John F. Kennedy, was assassinated on November 22, 1963 when transit 8th lord Saturn was exactly conjunct natal Sun. A young handsome and inspiring leader was snatched from our lives. The event deprived the country of hope, but somehow hope survived and the impulse only grew stronger.
If if we look more closely at the meaning of the Sun in the SAMVA USA chart, (see table) we notice many positive things, which explain why the two previous Sun dasas (major periods) have been accompanied by generally favourable results for the USA.
During the SUN DASA in the 1st dasa cycle which ran from April 9 1776 to April 10 1782 the main results were as follows:
* The states agree on a principle of Westward expansion on January 2, 1781 (8th lord aspects 2nd lord).
* Formation of the country on February 2, 1781 (Sun).
* The US army deafeats Cornwallis in September 1781 effectively ending the American Revolutionary War (Sun).
* The new nation increases its control over vast unsettled territories (8th lord aspects 2nd lord).
During the SUN dasa in the 2nd dasa cycle which ran from April 9 1896 to April 10 1902, the main results were as follows:
* Territorial expansion (aspect of 8th lord on 2nd lord) with Hawaii annexed and Utah becoming a state.
* Treaty of Paris in 1898 gives the United States ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam .
* Discovery of gold in Klondike in 1896.
* Passage of the Gold Standard Act in 1900 ending a period of bimetallism which resulted in a debasement of the currency (strong Sun).
* The assassination of President William McKinley, Jr. on September 14, 1901 (8th lord aspect on Sun).
* USA becomes a power broker in China (influence of Sun on 7th house).
In the third SUN dasa in the 3rd dasa cycle, which runs from April 9 2016 to April 10 2022, we can expect the extension of the territory, the increased authority of the USA abroad, in short, the return of the might of the country. At the same time, we can expect that some tragedy may strike which will deprive the country of something it loves, impelling the collective consciousness to move ever higher.
"Always the path of American destiny has been into the unknown. Always there arose enough reserves of strength, balances of sanity, portions of wisdom to carry the nation through to a fresh start with ever-reaching vitality."
- Carl Sandburg, speaking at the 96th (1959) Anniversary of Lincoln's Address at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, November 19, 1863
THE END (purpose) OF GREATNESS is to impel us to better understand the loving God.